Subject: Re: IC go home reality check
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 22:58:11 -0500

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 11:21 AM 2/24/97 +1100, Alastair Firkin
>  wrote:
> >the Leica M series has a unique
> >opportunity - to make a camera with the electronics >designed to be
> upgradable and serviceable for 10-40 years.
>
> Well, I guess that's a nice speculation but, even there, I don't WANT a
> camera that's only serviceable for 40 years.  My IIIc is right at its
> half-century point and there's not a reason in the world, even given my
> sometimes-less-than-gentle treatment, why it won't last ANOTHER fifty
> years.  And I regularly shoot with a sixty-year-old Super Ikonta B and some
> Prewar Contaxes.  No, forty years is way too short for my tastes!
>
> If Leica adopts an electronic anything and calls it an M7, the mechanical
> Leica is spurlos versunkt.
>>
> Marc James Small

OK, reality check. This argument flunks the laugh test. What percent of
the products that you buy do you honestly expect to use for HALF A
CENTURY? Any? Do you seriously expect to be using your computer you are
now using, in it's present form, even 50 WEEKS from now? Do YOU expect
to be here, and still functional, 50 years from now? I've got a watch
I'd like to take that long (Patek Philip) and the M6 and a diesel Benz,
but I'll bet the watch and the camera outlive the car. Geez, I'll be 88
if I make it. It's great to use classic anythings, but don't dismiss the
M7 before it's even hatched.

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland