Subject: Re: 50mm R lenses
From: "Michael L. Gardner" <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 08:19:17 -0800

John McLeod wrote:

> I am considering the purchase of either the 50 Summicron or Summilux R lens.
While I often wonder if I wouldn't rather have the Summilux, I own a
50 Summicron (made in Canada) and I can attest that it is very sharp
with excellent contrast.  Excellent sharpness in 16x20 Ilfochrome prints
have borne this out.  I, too, generally am working within the range of
f/2 -
f/8 and have judged the lens on that basis.  I think that perhaps I lust
after the Summilux because Leica always have those cool photos of R
cameras in their literature shown with a 50 Summilux mounted.  IMHO, I
think you could safely save the extra money and be happy with the
Summicron.  Of course, someone who owns the Summilux may refute this.
Mike G.