To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Mugged!
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 08:44:08 -0400 (EDT)

At 09:22 PM 10/5/96 -0700, you wrote:

The question is what purpose could be served by describing the ethnic group
of the muggers on this list?  I suspect no one believes that it will help to
apprehend them or help to prevent other muggings in the future.  It was
gratuitous in effect, although I assume not in intent.

Steve

>William Smith wrote:
>
>> Is it necessary to mention that the muggers are Hispanic?
>> Just wondering.
>>

>I see no problem one way or another. It describes the suspects. However to
>describe all Hispanics as strongarm robbers wouldn't be right ... the police
>officers doing the investigation and followup, and the danger involved in that
>process, may be Hispanic as well. The term is a description of these suspects,
>nothing more.

Stephen J. Kobrin                  Tel.  (215) 898-7732
212 Lauder Fischer Hall            Fax.  (215) 898-2067
The University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104--6330