To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 35mm Asph.
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 13:10:29 -0700 (MST)

At 12:23 PM 10/6/96 -0600, George Huczek wrote:
>About a week ago someone posted a message wondering if anyone
>knew if there was any difference between the first and current
>versions of the 35mm aspheric lens.
>   There has been no reply to this. Further to this though, does
>   anyone know why the lens design was changed from two aspheric
>   surfaces to one?

The aspheric surfaces were ground and as such very expensive (labor
intensive). The new version molds, by way of recent technology, the aspheric
element directly.

The only comparisons that I've heard are only subjective, at best, but they
are that the images from each would be virtually impossible to differentiate.

My piggy bank is dedicated to that baby. How soon, I don't know. Right now,
Tamarkin is selling the new one at $2395 new! Don't know whether it's with
full Passport or not.
--
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum