To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 06:19:55 -0700 (MST)

>>For the bucks, look at the good old Vivitar 283. It seems to be a workhorse
>>and can be bought used CHEAP. I got mine with an adaptor cable to fire it of
>
>For the bucks? We're Leica users for crying out loud! :-)
>
>Actually, for the M6 it's hard to beat. But it's not good for the R6. One
>time is all it takes to slip it in our out of the hot shoe of an R camera
>and popping the flash as it's crossing a contact and frying the
>electronics. I hate to keep harping on it, but the 283 is death on newer
>electronic cameras that use low volatge tripping circuits.
>
>===========
>Eric Welch

I called Leica USA recently, Eric, specifically to ask about using older
(higher triggering voltage) flash units with M & R 6/6.2 bodies. Was told
"no problem". What I didn't do is ask about R7. Why not call them, get a
technician and post the results of your call?

I wish camera makers would specify allowable trigger voltage ranges and that
flash makers would specify what their units are. Maybe the newer flash units
do, but I've got an old Sunpak 611 here, and not a word.
     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum