To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica alternatives
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:13:23 -0400

At 02:20  23/09/96 EDT, you wrote:

>John McLeod writes:
>
>>My primary camera is a Leica M6 with 35 and 50mm Summicron lenses.  As I
>>cannot afford another Leica system, I am considering the purchase of a
>Nikon
>>or Canon SLR in addition.  While I prefer the Nikon due to what I have
>heard
>>is slightly better overall construction quality and optical consistency
>>across the line, I am concerned about the fact that Nikons and Leicas focus
>>in the opposite direction.  In addition, the aperture ring is in the
>reverse
>>direction (Canon is like  Leica in these respects).
>
>>Are there any Nikon/Leica users out there?  What has been your experience
>in
>>this regard?  It may sound like a small point, but wouldn't focus and
>>aperture direction make a big difference as far as using both cameras
>quickly
>>and intuitively without having to think about it?
>
>From what I've seen in mags, such as Shutterbug, a good user M-4P, M6 or R
series is not that much more than mid priced Nikons, or Canons. WHy not
looked at used. Considering on claim that Leica owners make as a
consideration in buying Leica is reliability, it would seem a used Leica
would still be better than on of the others.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com