To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 35 mm Asph. Titanium Tight !
From: fl1pper@frii.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:27:35 -0600 (MDT)

>>    My brand new 35 mm Asph. Titanium, has a tight focusing ring, and this
>> causes difficulties in focusing.
>

>Is it tight like smooth but tight, or does it rub (metal on metal)? Put
your ear to it and focus. Can you hear friction? If so, you've got a bent
ring or a big hunk of grit in the helicals. If it's quiet and tight you've
got a lube problem. When these sit they go dry. When you say brand new my
first thought is warranty. Is yours valid? If so you have no problem. If not
you have two directions you can go: One pay someone to go inside and fix it.
Two, get a set of screw drivers and a spanner and TAKE IT APART!!! (a hush
goes over the crowd).

These lenses are very sturdy and simple. Don't be afraid to go inside and
clean and lube the helicals. The optics unscrew in one sub-assembly and you
are left with the focusing mechanism. You can remaove the bayonet, the
focusing ring and the knurled ring that you hold when mounting the lense and
you are left with a helical set. This I believe is brass on aluminum. Use a
very light oil (unless yours is dry lubed) to flush out the old stuff and
allow it to sit on a paper towel overnight, this will soak up the excess and
keep everything clean. Put it back together. Good luck.