To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Wide Angle
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 07:14:04 -0700 (MST)

At 07:55 AM 9/12/96 -0400, Marc James Small wrote:
>Well, let me try a query around another angle:  have any of you noticed more
>pronounced flare problems with the 35mm designs wide-open (when you would
>expect the problem to occur) than stopped down?  Roger Beamon had commented
>that he experienced flare shooting desert scenes which, I suspect, are quite
>bright.  My own experiences shooting into the sun on snowfields are stopped
>down.  I'll have to go back and try some night photography with my Summilux
>to check for this.

For clarification, I'm usually shooting the pretty bright desert scenes at
small apertures also, where I would expect less flare. Perhaps not as bright
as snowfields, but brighter than most. Also, small apertures and long
exposures on tripod are de rigueur for me in this type of shooting. I'm
usually trying to maximize DOF.
     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum