To: Leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: 20mm Russar
From: Thomas Pindelski <ThomasP@POSTOFFICE.nacm.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 10:28:00 PDT
Encoding: 36 TEXT

Finally found my screw-bayonet adapter and installed on the Russar for use
on my M3.  Here are some comments on ergonomics:

1 - The focusing mark comes to rest at 1:30 viewed from the front. Minor
inconvenience.
2 - The viefinder overlaps the shutter speed dial so you have to squint at
an angle to determine the speed set.
3 - It's very compact and light, just a joy to carry around, but you lose
the coupled meter.
4 - Parallax adjustment on the v/f is a bit fiddly - as you have to push in
the lower front edge to get the v/f to tilt for shorter distances, you find
yourself pushing the v/f out of the accessory shoe. Care! Shoe is tight
enough fit otherwise in my M3 which uses the nicely engineered sprung
holders rather than leaf springs.
5 - The focus ring has too fine a pitch - much rotating needed to get from
infinity to 1m, but a minor point given the large depth of field. No r/f
coupling, but you don't need it.
6 - You really have to get your eye pressed up hard against the v/f to get
the whole field of view, especially for eyeglass wearers (like me). Rear
ocular is rectangular with no obvious ways of attaching eyesight correction
lenses.
7 - Rear ring used to grip and remove the lens is small, but you get used to
it. Red dot on Leitz bayonet adapter is hard to see - not the lens's fault.
8 - I'll need a Super Angulon rear lens cap if the bayonet adapter is to
remain in place, to cover the protruding element. The OEM one is, of course,
screw mount.
9 - The front element is well recessed - no marks on it after riding arund
the streets on my bicylce and generally maltreating it.

Results soon.

The rear element protrudes 0.66" from the flange, if any TTL Leica users
need to know this. Does this allow its use on M5/CL/M6?

Thomas