To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: MR4 meters
From: Jack Hamilton <jackham@execpc.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 12:46:02 -0500

Fred:

I think/hope that you have given THE DEFINITIVE statement about light meters...be they
built-in, reflected light (and  fairly useless) or incident-light reading...and giving
the truest (although still nowhere near perfect) reading.

Once again, this "gary hair" nominates you for the "atta-boy" award!!!

And if only ONE reader heeds your pearl of wisdom...it's worthwhile, Fred!

There's always hope!

In the meantime, I have discovered that one can buy Leica CL's and CLE's for example,
with non-operable light meters for CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP...and since I mainly use
Sekonic incident light meters (very much like the old reliable Westons, Fred) I'm in
business. Just this past week, I bought a Leica CL with non-operable light meter,
complete with 40mm f/2 Summicron in "9" condition otherwise, for $125.00!

I also  bought two Rollei 35S cameras, with 2.8 Sonnar lenses (German) for a total of
$135.00...again because their built-in meters didn't function...although everything
else is 100%

Geese, maybe it would be to my advantage if too many people didn't heed your post!

Cordially,
Jack Hamilton
Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: MR4 meters)