To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list or: The King Farted Commemorative M6
From: Stephen Gandy <Cameras@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 15:05:36 -0700

C'mon guys.  It should be obvious to all but the most blinded Leicaphile
that Leica is a small photo company doing its best to Survive in
difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately, it is doing that with very questionable decisions.  These
include:

	1) a cheapening of workmanship, finish and materials. Just compare a M3
to a M6!

	2) raising its prices to make up for slowing sales

	3) putting its name on lenses and cameras made by someone else
(Minolta)

	4) Trying to take advantage of it popularity with collectors by issuing
what seems to be a never ending series of rediculous commemorative
cameras.  No other company does with...no one else has the fools waiting
to buy such things.  I am fully expecting to see them issue a "King
Farted Commemorative M6" any day now.

Too bad current Leica management isn't smart enough to return to making
cameras whose quality makes them collector's items, instead of making
collector's items which happen to be cameras.  All their financial
problems would be solved if they only returned to the quality of
yesteryear.   For all their defenders,  I am not saying that today's
Leica's are not good or even excellent.  But I am saying they are not
the great cameras they once made.

Stephen Gandy