To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: regards digital storage
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 23:30:02 -0700

At 11:31 PM 7/7/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Actually, the Leafscan 45 is good for 5000 dpi at 16 bits per channel.
>Given that even good 35mm lenses resolve only about 150 line pairs/mm,
>this is pretty durned close to what you can expect to do with your
>35mm camera.  It costs $17,000, but the price for this technology is
>falling quickly.

I saw one for sale for $5,000 used, needed an overhaul - about $2,500. Good
deal. But it needs a service contract. You don't want to pay for maintenance
piecemeal. Wish I had the money, but the thought of $250 bulbs are just too
much. But then for a beseler negative carrier that rotates in it AP wanted
to charge us $150, and you could buy the same thing from B&H for 1/3 that.
So AP obviously overcharges for equipment. I used one at work for almost
three years, and have yet to see anything for less than $30,000 that could
compete. Interesting that it's 5000 dpi, because our owners manual from AP
said it was 5,700.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Job Information Bank Chair
Region 11

Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal"

T. S. Eliot