To: owner-leica-users <owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Fill-in flash with M6?
From: "Seto, Calvin" <cys50@toraag.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 96 17:13:00 PDT
Encoding: 23 TEXT

>Get a powerful, but small, flash unit, with metering built in. The Vivitar
>283 would be ideal. Why I say powerful is, in bright sunlight, you need a
>lot of power to fill-flash with that 1/50 sec. shutter speed.

>An example: Exposure in the camera meter 1/50 at f/11. A good fill-in
>exposure would be to set the flash for f/5.6 or f/8. One and one-half stops
>underexpsure would be better, but the 283 doesn't give 1/2 stop settings in
>auto flash.

Alternatively, you can "adjust" the ASA/DIN setting on the flash to get the
desired
underexposure value, as close as the flash allows (usually at 1/3 stop
increment),
i.e. to get 1 and 1/3 stop underexpose, set the ASA to 250 on ASA100 film.
 Then all
you need is to align the camera's f-stop to the flash setting.

That's how I control the Nikon SB-22 flash with my M6.

Calvin Seto