To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Late numbers?
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 08:37:17 -0700 (MST)

At 03:46 PM 6/5/96 +0200, Hans Pahlen wrote:
>I just got my new M6, that has a serial no. starting with 2.064.
>I was surprised to learn that the numbers now exceed 2 millions, and I am
>just curious if anyone has info about the latest serial numbers, as I wonder
>what year this body was made.

The published numbers appear to have stopped with 1,932,000, Hans, which was
a 1992 body. Others here have said that Leica GMBH decided, then, to no
longer make the serial numbers, with their year of manufacture, available to
the public, and that apparently includes authors.

I would like to hear their rationale for the decision. What is the perceived
problem with that information in the hands of users and collectors?
       --
       Roger Beamon,   Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                  Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum