To: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: Leica Desires
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 19:45:48 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Dr. Volow,

I certainly apologize for jumping on your case so strongly earlier but one
thing we might forget about "lens tests".....and I think there was a msg
earlier from Mr Ed Meyers.....unless you isolate the lens from the camera
- put it on an optical bench - you're essentially just shooting a lens
chart with a camera and you might as well go shoot real life.  Unless, of
course, you actually intend to matte and frame those lens charts.

The lens - to be a valid test of the lens alone - can't have any outside
influence on it such as a camera body and - heaven's sakes - a shutter!
Even the camera-to-lens mounting must be considered as flawed or certainly
a variable in the equation.

Now......if you're not talking a strict lens test but an overall test of
the picture-taking device 'en toto', I argue again that you're better off
simply doing a side-by-side of cameras and lens combinations and picking
the best of the best.

Again, I offer, after all of the research and development you've already
paid Leica in the price of the goods, it's questionable to question them.

They weren't pulling your leg:  "Leitz means precision......worldwide."

Regards,

Tom Hodge
Davidson, NC