To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Excess "wear" on real lens mount of M lenses by CL body
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 06:34:06 -0400 (EDT)

LUG'ers,

Gee, I really wish I could add something to the fascinating (?) "Leica hits
the sand" story........................................not!

Seriously, giving my tiny a CL and lenses their due attention and a little
cleaning here and there, I find the little roller inside the top lip of
the camera body - the one that activates the viewfinder focus mechanism -
is actually starting to wear the mating rim on the lenses.

The tiny 40mm "C" lens has a different configuration machined into the
respective area on the lens "cam" (?) and isn't as affected or so noticeable.

But the 50mm and 90 mm "M" lenses - just where this little roller hits
the brass part of the lens focusing mount - feels decidedly sharp and
"wire edged" by comparison to the rest of the lens "cam".

Is this normal?  At some point, won't the wear be noticeable enough to
cause a teeny error in focusing indication?

The tiny roller feels pretty heavily spring-loaded and rolls quite
smoothly but the force it's putting on the mating part of the M lenses is
kinda un-nerving.

Comments?  Is this something not worth worrying about?  Can I - should I -
get the M lenses modified or cut down to match the tiny C lens?  Is that a
dumb idea?  The area affected appears to be the only un-plated brass parts
visible on the lenses and brass certainly isn't the hardest material on
earth.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Rgds,

Tom Hodge