To: rec.photo.equipment.35mm@msc.cornell.edu
Subject: Re: ATTENTION!!! LEICA RIPPING OFF PHOTOGRAPHERS. [rec.photo.equipment.35mm #16178]
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:43:02 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Claude Trei,

I agree with you that Leica has a premium on their name and products but
if you don't know this going into the game, you've got blinders on to the
world, boy!

Everything associated with Leica carries the same stigma.  Either have the
budget to accept it and deal with it or stay with the Japanese SLR's.
It's like buying a Mercedes and complaining about the tune-ups.  Hey, pal,
you're either in the game all the way or you're not in at all.

$ 2800.00 for an M-6 with 2 lenses?  You either bought stolen goods (in
which case you'll NEVER get any sympathy on THIS forum), mugged a widow,
bought some well-worn "junk"....or used a mask and a gun!  What are you
complaining about?  You saved enough money to buy a truck-load of rear
caps and a ton of lens hoods!  Don't forget:  You get the 95 bucks for the
lens hood back in your pocket if and when you sell the lens.  Leica stuff
is like overdue parking tickets in Chicago, USA:  they keep going up in
value!

And how the hell did you break a rear lens cap?  Drive over it with a
car?  It had to be terribly defective before you bought it.  Complain to
whoever you bought it from, not Leica.  If you bought the stuff without
any kind of a MBG (money back guarantee) you got hosed.  And not by Leica.

As to the strap, you have a point.  I replaced a older strap on my CL
with a generic, saving the original for the day I sell it and simply put
the real one back on to keep it "original".

Welcome to Leica, Claude.  Next to importing vast amounts of cocaine from
Columbia or marrying some socialite from Monacco, you won't find anything
that will drain your wallet faster.  It doesn't get any better down the
line, either.  Fish or cut bait, bud!  Besides.....what the hell......it's
only money.

Regards,

Tom Hodge / thodge@charweb.org / North Carolina, USA