To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Fwd: Leica M3 sticky shutter release
From: photo-op@ix.netcom.com (Sherril & Bill)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 21:08:28 -0800

>>> Please reply directly to:  struan.gray@sljus.lu.se <<<<<

    I have access to an M3 here at work that I'd like to take out and
play
with, since I enjoy taking handheld pictures in dimly lit old buildings
and am
also curious about the famed Leica look and feel.  The trouble is the
shutter
release on the camera is sticky and usually won't fire.  Leica Sweden
want an
unreasonable amount of money just to look at the thing so I'm hoping
that it's
the sort of problem I can cure myself.

    The shutter works fine if I use the self-timer, and turning the
speed dial
changes the sound as it fires, so I don't think the problem is with the
shutter itself.  The button release in the centre of the wind on knob
also
works if I take off the bottom plate of the camera, remove the take up
spool
and flip up the camera back.  As I re-close the camera the release gets
more
finicky and starts to jam, particularly when I insert the take up
spool.  When
the release is jammed I can see the take up spool moving if I try to
depress
the shutter release with the bottom plate removed.

    The camera box contains the manual, but that only has instructions
for
simple things like loading film and changing lenses, and I can find no
indication that I'm doing anything stupid like failing to disengage
some sort
of interlock.  Our local library has none of the books on Leicas that
I've
seen mentioned in this newsgroup so I'm appealing directly to the
group.  Does
anyone know if this is an easily solved problem?  One I can fix myself
if I
undo some of the screws I can see if I peer up into the film
compartment?

    There are also two less serious problems.  The camera comes with
the Leica
Meter MR, which requires a PX-625 battery.  Does anyone know if there
is a
replacement, and if so what?  The camera has a 50mm normal lens, as
well as a
35mm, f2.8 summaron with spectacles which are out of alignment: the
split
image is offset vertically as well as horizontally (with the 50mm lens
there
is no problem, so I assume it's the spectacles that are at fault).  Can
realign the spectacles myself?

    Any help appreciated.

Struan
 >>> please reply directly to : struan.gray@sljus.lu.se