To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Remote Control
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.NL>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 1996 16:37:10 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <wjmarkerink@a3.a1.nl>

On  3 Feb 96 at 1:40, DFeldman@aol.COM wrote about "Remote Control":

> Well, I finally took the plunge and bought a used M6, 35mm and 90mm
> Summicrons from Don Chatterton. They came last week and I have shot a couple
> of rolls - I like it a lot! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on what
> to buy and where.
>
> One thing that this camera does not have is a self-timer. I thought of using
> a long cable release so I could take some family/self-portrait shots, but I
> do not like the idea of a long cable.
>
> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a cordless cable release - you
> know like a TV remote control? Is it very expensive?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Feldman
> Davis, CA
> dfeldman@aol.com

Mmm....you mean an electronical/mechanical device, and not a simple mechanical
timer as Eric suggested? I have seen such electronic remote systems
for mechanical operating shutters, but these are indeed not cheap.
About $500 or so. A while back I have done a search on these things,
for using them in combination with a self made electronical
multi timer. I made a few of these timers for friends with EOS'es and
other modern cameras, but with mechanical cameras there is no cheap
solution (the timer itself cost about $250).
Mind: this $500 thing is a wired kind of activator, but hooking this
one up on a IR remote is quite easy IMO.

Anyway, I think your solution is a simple mechanical self timer. You can get
them with gears (clockwork, those make noise) and with a hydraulic
cylinder. I have such a hydraulic one, for use with my Horizon panorama camera.
Works great, although you can't estimate the exact time as good as
with a clock work operating one. It's also a bit temperature
dependant....:-))

Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

<w.j.markerink@a1.nl>

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: Remote Control)