To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: SLR lenses on M bodies etc
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.NL>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 00:30:36 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <wjmarkerink@a3.a1.nl>

On 20 Jan 96 at 3:50, joe b. wrote about "SLR lenses on M bodies
etc":

> The flange to film plane distance on a Leica rangefinder body is a
> bit less than that on an SLR. That leaves room for an adapter, and I

Yes, I was thinking a bit counter-clockwise, sorry!....:-))

> FYI, SRB are a reputable company that sell a range of items. They
> have a few slightly down-market looking catalogues for adapters,
> filters etc. Don't be fooled by their catalogues' downmarket look.
> They were recommended to me by Leica UK for custom adaptors. They
> are currently making me a couple of 60mm Cokin "P" type adapter
> rings which Cokin don't make themselves.

Yup, I know SRB.They can also make an Leica R-to-EOS adaptor for 60
UK pounds; only drawback is that it connects with a screw instead of
a springloaded pin, as with the more expensive
Zoerkendorfer/Novoflex/others.

> And on a tripod using a rectangular opaque filter in a Cokin type
> (or other) holder (or even held by hand) would be easier than
> repeatedly using and removing a screw-in one- if a rectangular
> opaque IR filter could be found. I found someone (Holmes marketing,
> UK, distributors for Lee filters) to make a rectangular dark yellow
> filter for IR Ektachrome (much better colours than the usual mid
> yellow)- it is costing me about UKP 50 but other than this they
> simply don't exist in Cokin "P" size AFAIK; (this so I can use any
> lens I can fit on my R bodies with said IR Ektachrome). So they
> could probably do a resin opaque IR filter as well.

Check my homepage for those IR filters in P-size; I have
also made a nice solution for an IR filter on my Horizon 202.
Also some nice historics on IR (Goethe!), and some tips about IR b&w
*slide*, and a way to simulate the IR effect on film.
(the page is not finished yet, so don't expect pic's and a nice
layout!)

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/htmltest.htm

BTW, FWIW: I've used a light orange filter successfully with IR Ektachrome.
Yellow was indeed too 'blue', and I finally settled with orange.
(still keeping two films in my freezer....they cost me DM 60 each!
(not available in Holland))

Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

<w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
Replied: 20 Jan 96 19:58